Monday, January 26, 2009

Why do we have to have a Christian version of everything? Why am I predisposed to not liking them?

Why am I sometimes predisposed to criticizing or making fun of evangelicals/ism?  What's the deal with this thing called GodTube?  Why do we have to have a GodTube, a "Christian" version of YouTube?  But, then, why not?  Why is that I was fairly sure before even watching one video there that the enterprise was cheesy and that I wouldn't ever want to be caught watching something there by one of my more liberally inclined friends?  I actually do think it is sort of a corny - not to mention unnecessary - idea.  On the other hand, I'm willing to admit that it has many helpful things to offer Christians.  I also won't say it's not very creative, artistically innovative or professional (things evangelicals are often criticized of being, cf. most Christian movies).  The question is why are many people (myself often included) predisposed to thinking this is so cheesey and this is funny.  

1 comment:

  1. I think that society as a whole has developed a perception of religious people as being simple minded and divisive due to a history of assumed unfounded superstition and aversion to some scientific discoveries. As part of that society, we have probably just absorbed that perception and developed an unhealthy distaste for things that remind us of it.

    ReplyDelete